Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, August 25, 2007



Back to the grind.
Sorry for the delay! I promise to be better at keeping this up - after all, I'll have plenty of time when I'm stuck on the couch or in the recliner after the whooper knee surgery on Sept. 5.
Where to start - From Aug. 7-14 we were to be in IL visiting Jeff's family. We had lunch with Mrs. Finley, Jeff's choir teacher from middle through high school. Jeff was able to show Graham off to his band director, and of course Jim and Jan were able to be the proud grandparents and show Graham off at church. Everything was going fine. On Sunday evening we had dinner with Sandy and Parker and then we all headed back to the house to play with Graham. I was upstairs walking in the hallway and my knee dislocated. I waited a minute and popped it back into place, but something wasn't right. So Jan and I headed off to the hospital where I was put in a straight leg brace and on crutches. I was instructed not to fly and to follow up with my surgeon when I got home. No problem - but how were we to get from IL to LA? The only thought was to rent a car and drive. I fell again on Tues. night getting up from the bathroom and was in a lot of pain so off we went to the hosp. again where they said it was either torn cartilage or a torn ACL. Jim and Jan graciously rented a van and drove us home on Thursday instead of Tuesday. I was able to prop my leg and we all had plently of room for the 14 hour drive. Graham did extremely well with all things considered!!! We drove half way on Thursday, stopped in Memphis - had a heck of a time finding a hotel room due to the anniversary of Elvis' death, but we finally got one. Friday we headed back to LA.
Jan and Jim stayed through the weekend. And we were so grateful!!! On Saturday night, I was getting ready for bed, went to stand up from the toilet and my knee went out, and I experienced a pain like I have never had before. I was collapsed on the bathroom floor, helpless. Jeff helped me stand up and off we went to the hospital. The doc said that everything was lined up properly, but to follow up with the surgeon. Saturday was the worst fall of all. My whole body still aches from the fall.
On Tuesday I met with Dr. Plauche. He agreed that it was time for me to have the lateral release/medial advance/VMO advance/quad reconstruction. But he didn't want to perform the surgery. He was reluctant with my history of the bone infection, but agreed to do the surgery with some heavy duty IV antibiotics both before and after surgery. So it looks like Sept. 5 is the day. I know that it will be a major surgery - and I'm hoping and praying for relief for a while. I want to be able to get on my knees and play with Graham, go to the park and run around, etc. And I'm hoping that this surgery will allow me to do that! I will not be able to put weight on my leg for 6 weeks. At 6 weeks, I'll start PT and will gradually start putting weight on my leg. Obviously this is going to be a lot for our family. Prayers are definately appreciated!!! Fortunately my parents live 2 miles away and are helping soo much! Jeff's mom will fly down on Sept 8, which is the day I should be discharged - and she will stay indefinately. We're hoping that Jan will have either Graham or I and my mom will have the other. It would just be too much to have both of us while Jeff is working.
So that's the update on me. :)


Now, onto Mr. Graham...


He has changed so much in the last 3 weeks. He is crawling on all 4's rather than doing the crawl which resembles Spiderman crawling up the side of a building. He is also pulling up onto EVERYTHING! He would much rather be standing than sitting. He is now able to go from laying down to sitting up. Since I'm on crutches, I cannot carry him. He has just limited his crawling to the play mat in the living room. On Thursday, I got Graham up from his nap, changed his diaper, and put him on the floor. I was crutching in front of him encouraging him to follow me. Boy did I open a can of worms! The child crawls EVERYWHERE now!!! He looked like a little puppy following me, but now he will just explore. It's so neat watching him!!! His facial expressions are priceless when he realizes he can do something or he finds something new.
After figuring out that he could have full reign of the house, Graham crawled into our room. Next thing I know, I'm yelling for Jeff to come and see "his" son. Graham has crawled to the suitcase which is in front of the dresser, climbed ontop of the suitcase, and pulled himself up on the dresser where he was throwing things off of the dresser. IT was crazy fast! After he figured this out, we found him lifting his leg attempting to climb onto anything!
Our house is quickly being baby proofed. We are learning that some "safe" areas aren't so safe anymore! When we think Graham can't reach something - we have to think again...his wing span is amazing! haha!
Graham has also demonstrated his own Houdini moves...I had him buckled into the changing table while I got something out of a drawer, and as I looked up, I saw him scooting out of the buckle. He heard the lawn mower outside of his window, and wanted to see Jeff!

Well that should catch you up on life! Here are some pictures for your enjoyment!! Look for more pictures to come!!!!!
Sitting in the palm of His hand -
Jeff, Lauren & Graham

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Lauren! I have just discovered your blog and enjoyed reading and looking at pictures to catch up on how things are going with ya'll. Graham is still just adorable- love the red hair :) I'm sorry to hear that you are still having such problems with your leg- I'll be praying for you this week and in the weeks to come as you have your surgery. Love you! Lauren