Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Saturday Update

Miles is doing so well! In the hustle and bustle of going home, visiting the hospital & trying to recover, I've failed at updating!! So here's the abbreviated version of the last few days!

Miles came off of the vent yesterday and did very well! He went to CPAP and as of this morning he was down to room air (21% oxygen) and a PEEP of 4 (pressure to keep his lungs fully expanded).
Mom & I went and dropped off his groceries yesterday and were told by the MD that I could hold Miles. The crotchety nurse didn't like this idea so I waited until the 3P nurse came on and she said ABSOLUTELY!! :) I was able to hold Miles for about 30 minutes and then mom got in on the action! Unfortunately, neither of us had a camera! I loved every minute of it! He opened one eye and looked at me then decided I wasn't that interesting and drifted off to sleep again. :)

Today, Graham let Jeff & I sleep in! HEAVEN! :) So we all headed to the hospital before lunch and ended up having a GREAT day! Nurse crotchety was on, but I told her how well Miles did with us holding him yesterday, and she reluctantly agreed to let us hold him! Jeff held him first and as soon as Miles was in his Daddy's arms, his eyes were wide open! He gave Jeff a good stare down for 15 min. or so. Graham and I went back to see Miles as well, and Graham thought it was hilarious that Miles held onto his finger. Miles enjoyed some kisses from Graham as well. I can't describe the feeling of watching my boys interact for the first time! HEART WARMING! Jeff took Graham out for a nap and I got to love on Miles for about an hour!


He should be coming off of the CPAP tomorrow and going onto a high flow nasal cannula. So we'll be able to see his pretty face & hair!!! :) They have been increasing his feeds daily and lowering his IV fluids, so we are hoping that he will be able to come off of his IV fluids in the next couple of days. There was talk of inserting a PICC line (longer term IV access) but since he appears to be tolerating his feeds (he's at 15cc every 3 hours right now; will go up to 20cc at 9AM) that procedure should be put on hold. Graduating from CPAP also means that his UAC (arterial access through his umbilical cord) should come out. By losing the CPAP and UAC we will be able to hold him more often.


I know I've rambled, but just wanted to update you on what's going on. I'm feeling great. Having a NICU baby motivates you to move!! In between visits, I'm trying to play with Graham, rest, and hydrate myself so I can provide nourishment for Mr. Miles. Thanks for all of your prayers!! We can feel them!!

Strength & Hope,




Jeff, Lauren, Graham & Miles

3 comments:

Laura said...

I'm so glad everything is going well. Miles is so adorable and you look amazing. Your boys are so lucky to have such a strong momma! Keep the updates coming.

Anonymous said...

You do look amazing! I am so glad that you are updating your blog. I have been thinking about you! You are in my prayers! I hope each day brings Miles more strength and abilities and he can go home soon!

~Bekah said...

awww girl! I was wondering where you've been!! Miles is adorable! I have a huge soft-spot in my heart for red-heads, obviously! I am always asked now, "do you want a girl or a boy?" and my reply always is, "I want a red head!" :) haha... I'm glad things are going better! He's a fighter! :) We go Jan. 20th for our 20 week appt.! Hard to believe huh? we tried at my last appt. on Dec. 23rd to tell the gender but he/she kept covering him/herself w/ his/her hands the WHOLE TIME so we couldn't see anything! haha...
OH, i found out i can take plain sudafed so i've been doing that and it's helping a lot, except Josh has this stuff too so we shared a box and now we're out and i'll have to be the one to get the next box since walmart only allows you to get 1 box ever-so-often b/c of all the meth-heads out there using it to make drugs :(.... anyhoo.. glad u & ur family are doing well! :)
love ya...miss ya!