Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, July 20, 2007

On top of Old Grambo...all covered in Spaghetti!!!

Well, we have taken yet another step in parenting....we have the "self-feeder"! Over the last week we have been introducing Graham to our "grown up" foods. He has successfully eaten bananas, avacados, strawberries, melon, watermelon, potatoes au gratin, cheddar potatoes, and a few other misc. food items. But today was a first. He tried a Chick-fil-a chicken nugget - well 3 tiny pieces - which he seemed to enjoy. And then...drum roll please...SPAGHETTI! Jeff and I had spaghetti for dinner and decided that we would try our first family meal - no baby food! So Jeff put Graham in his high chair between the two of us, served both of our plates, and I then dished up some spaghetti in a bowl to cool off. As Jeff and I started to eat, Graham was extremely jealous. So I blew on a spoonfull and fed him. This lasted all of about 6 bites before he began reaching for the spoon to feed himself. As I would try to sneak a bite (how dare i!?!) between shoveling Graham's spaghetti, he would get so mad!!! To help the situation, I put some spaghetti on his tray. He picked up the spaghetti in his hand, made a fist, brought the fist to his mouth, shoved the whole fist in his mouth but was unable to figure out how to "release" the spaghetti so he proceeded to take his hand out of his mouth, open the fist and just dive into his hand and eat whatever he could lick off. It was quite amuzing!!! When the spaghetti on the tray was gone, I decided that I would just let him have his bowl. I figured he has to learn to feed himself at some point, so why not try tonight! He did well!! I was actually surprised at how much he ate considering the mess that resulted. Before I decided to put the spaghetti on the tray, I grabbed the camera to document Graham's first attempt at self feeding.

This is how dinner started:


The first "fist" full of food to the mouth....

"Look Daddy, I'm using the spoon!"

"This feels pretty funny in my hand - Daddy you should try and eat your food this way -- who needs a fork or spoon when you have 2 good hands?"

"Mom, I told you I could put my fist AND food in my mouth at the same time!"

Trying to grab the last bit of spaghetti out of the bowl...
There are just no words for this...
Double fisting it...
OK - he is ALL boy!! "Look Daddy, this makes a good hat!"
Yay Graham!! Only 2 noodles in the hair - I'd say that's pretty good for the first time that he fed himself!! Last picture before heading straight to the bathtub!
Walking in His light -
Jeff, Lauren & Graham

No comments: